Michele Romano's Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
Michele Romano's baked eggplant parmesan recipe is the Leonardo da Vinci of Italian side dishes! Eggplant parmesan recipes can be prepared in a variety of ways but this top secret baked eggplant recipe is an Italian masterpiece . Serve with your favorite meat dish, a tangy Italian homemade vinegar and oil salad, some crusty Italian rolls and your family will have an unforgettable dining experience!
You will find it hard to believe this dish contains no meat, no pasta!
You can make eggplant parmesan gluten free!
Michele Romano Recipes
Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 2 medium eggplant
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups organic flour (use a gluten-free substitute, Almond flour works well)
- 1 - 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Thinly slice eggplant lengthwise approx. 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Wisk eggs and milk together in bowl (wide and flat for dipping eggplant works best).
- Mix together flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Dip each slice of eggplant in egg mixture, then coat both sides with flour mixture
- Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay eggplant out on cookie sheet.
- Drizzle each round generously with olive oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip eggplant over, drizzle more olive oil on each piece.
- Bake until golden and crispy on both sides.
- Set fried eggplant aside on a platter.
Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 (tomato paste) can of water
- 1-28 oz can Italian plumb tomatoes (chop up tomatoes)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly torn basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese (or 2 - 1/3 cups of Italian four cheese blend)
- Over medium heat, saute onions, garlic in olive oil.
- Add oregano, salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomato paste and stir fry for two minutes.
- Stir in water and add chopped tomatoes.
- Simmer slowly, uncovered for 30 minutes
Putting It All Together
Prep Time: 45 min.
Cook Time:30 min.
- Cover the bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish with your prepared tomato sauce.
- Place a layer of baked eggplant rounds on top of sauce.
- Add more sauce, enough to cover baked eggplant.
- Sprinkle lightly with Romano or Parmesan cheese.
- Scatter torn bsil leaves.
- Continue layering tomato sauce, baked eggplant and Romano or Parmesan cheese and basil leaves.
- Sprinkle top of eggplant parmesan with 4 Italian cheese blend or mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, then bake or broil till cheese is golden brown and bubbly (watch closely!)
- Optional: Garnish with fresh chopped italian parsley
- Let set approximately 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
Live Long and Mangia!
Nutritional facts: Eggplant is low in calories, but rich in fiber content. It is been known to be effective in the treatment of high blood cholesterol. It also contains a list of B complex vitamins, as well a healthy list of minerals!
For more on eating healthy, I find The Health Benefits Times very informative.
Return From Eggplant Parmesan Recipe to Top Secret Recipes