Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe (Italian Style)
Michele Romano's rich and creamy corn chowder recipe (Italian style) is a favorite of young and old alike! (Just ask my husband, he's old. Lol.)
This recipe for corn chowder is a little sweet and a tad spicy when a few slices of Italian capicola and a dash of cayenne pepper are added. Corn chowder is an ideal soup for a cool day. I like to make this savory recipe in the fall using fresh corn cut right off the cob, served with my rosemary cheese biscuits! I make sure to freeze lots of bags of corn during harvest so I do not have to buy genetically modified corn from the grocery stores in the winter. If you do not have garden corn of your own, then you can buy frozen organic corn or organic canned corn.
Prep time: 30 min.
Cook time: 35 min.
Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe
- 1 tbsp. organic coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- 4 slices spicy capicola, cubed-optional
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup leeks, chopped-optional
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium white potatoes cubed
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 3 cups water or organic vegetable broth (can also use chicken broth)
- 2 1/2 cups fresh, organic frozen or canned corn
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk (substitute half the milk with cream or plain soy milk)
- 2 dashes of cayenne pepper-optional
- Salt and pepper (to your taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley or cilantro-optional
- Fry bacon and capicola in butter and oil, using a large soup pot.
- Add in onion, leeks, celery and saute until soft.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots until coated with oil.
- Add 2 cups of water, vegetable broth or chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil until potatoes start to cook.
- Heat milk in a small pot, stir in corn and flour until thickened.
- Stir corn mixture into soup pot along with desired spices.
- Simmer until flavors go through, but do not boil.
Note: A large portion of the world corn supply is genetically altered with built in pesticides to kill insects! How then does it affect us, the consumers? I have done my research and the answer is very disconcerting to say the least.
Return from Corn Chowder Recipe to Italian Soup Recipes