Michele Romano's Italian Walnut Roll Recipe
What are the best adjectives to describe the incredible texture and extraordinary flavor of my Italian Walnut Roll recipe? Alas, there are none. Therefore, you will just have to try them for yourself!
(Speaking of rolls, these tasty pastries just may add a few more to your waistline!) Lol! Trust me, one is not enough. They have just the precise amount of sweetness. There is no sugar in the roll itself, only the filling. So you can keep that in mind as you are scarfing down these yummy rolls! And, to ease your conscience further, the health benefits of walnuts (see foot note) is amazing.
You can whip Italian walnut rolls up in a jiffy for an afternoon tea party or they are perfect for dipping into your cappuccino after dinner. Make them a little more elegant by making an icing sugar glaze and zig-zagging it over the rolls. They are one of my favorite Italian dessert recipes.
Note: This recipe makes approx. 18 rolls, double recipe for a larger crowd and make 36 rolls.
Walnut Roll Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp milk, soy or almond milk for added moisture
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp finely chopped walnuts
- Cut butter into flour until it resembles cornmeal texture.
- Add sour cream, egg yolks and milk if needed. If dough is sticky, add more flour.
- Divide dough into four and roll into balls, wrap in wax paper and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make filling by beating cream cheese, sugar, egg whites and vanilla together.
- Stir in walnuts and cinnamon.
- Roll out one ball at a time, like a pie crust about 8 inches across.
- Spread some filling mixture on dough (equal amount for all four balls)
- Cut into pie wedges with a pizza cutter.
- Roll each piece from outer circle to the point.
- Place point down, on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
Icing sugar glaze
Health Benefits: Walnuts
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp milk or water
- Beat together until smooth.
are to many considered the king of nuts! They have a combination of more healthful and higher quality antioxidants than any other nut. Walnuts contain plenty of high-quality protein so can be substituted for meat, minerals and vitamins, dietary fiber, and they are dairy and gluten-free.
Return From Italian Walnut Roll Recipe to Italian Dessert Recipes