Italian Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
Michele Romano's stuffed zucchini recipe . I was born to eat this classic Italian dish! Trust me I have created and made almost every zucchini recipe there is. If you grow zucchini, then you know what I am talking about.
Question: How do you know that you are not Italian?
Answer: When you have to buy your own zucchini! Lol, and lmao!
It is true though! I think because it ends in "ini" Italians just have to grow it. I even have a recipe on how to make your own zero fat, zucchini noodles in place of pasta! I will reserve that recipe for a cookbook in the near future. I do however, have other exquisite Italian salad recipes to compliment my stuffed zucchini recipe available on this website, Michele Romano Recipes.
Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 1 large or medium size green or yellow zucchini
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (or ground chicken)
- 1/4 lb. Italian sausage (I prefer hot)
- 2 - 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
Note: I use whatever peppers are in my garden.
- 1 small red pepper, cubed
- 1 small yellow pepper, cubed
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 - 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced or 6 roma tomatoes diced
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-500 gram carton cottage cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan, Romano cheese, or Grana Padano
- 2 cups Mozzarella, cheddar, Italian blend, or cheese of your choice, grated
- In a large skillet, or fry pan, scramble fry beef (or chicken if using) and Italian sausage in oil.
- Add in onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Simmer on stove for 10 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft.
- Set meat mixture aside, cover.
- Meanwhile, cut zucchini length wise and using a large spoon, hollow out the meat and seeds to make it like a canoe.
- Place zucchini in baking dish skin side down.
- Place cottage cheese in bowl, add in green onions, Italian parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in egg, 1 tbs Parmesan or Romano and 1/3 cup of grated cheddar or Mozzarella cheese.
- Mix meat mixture and cottage cheese mixture together.
- Stuff the zucchini canoes as full as possible. Add 1/2 cup water to baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheeses. Cover with foil.( Uncover last 10 minutes)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min or until zucchini is soft and cheese on top is golden brown.
Prep time: 40 min.
Cook time: 45 min.
Live Long and Mangia!
Health Benefits in this Stuffed Zucchini Recipe:
lowers cholesterol levels and blood sugar which helps prevent heart attack and stroke. When crushed, raw cloves releases allicin, which has been shown to be a more potent antibiotic than penicillin and tetracycline.
is loaded with health benefits. It is known to be an effective anti-bacterial. It also has potent anti-oxidant activity.
has been shown to help in the treatment of a range of symptoms, including: digestive disorders, inflammation,infection, diabetes, heart disease and headaches.
For more on eating healthy, I find Health Benefits Times very informative.