One Of My All time Favorite Stuffed Pepper Recipes
Did you say stuffed pepper recipes? Geeg Toscano's Italian stuffed red peppers royale are a savory delight! Just one pepper makes a whole meal. Choose from one of my Italian salads to make your meal complete!
Rich and robust , I prepared his recipe the other day and ...ooh, like all of Geeg's Italian dishes, they were chock - full of amazing flavor. These are definitely on the menu when it comes to healthy meals that can be served for an everyday supper, or an elegant dinner.
Geeg's and my other stuffed pepper recipes all go great with fresh homemade Italian breadsticks and a crispy baby greens salad with homemade Italian dressing. For more of Geeg's great Italian recipes and the highly coveted Romano family recipes, watch for our new cookbook, Romano/Toscano Top Secret Recipes.
Stuffed Pepper Recipes
Watch for more mouth watering stuffed pepper recipes in my Heavenly Scent Recipes section of my website.
Michele Romano Recipes
Toscano Stuffed Peppers Royale
- 6-8 red, yellow or orange peppers
- 6-8 white baby potatoes or potatoes cut in half to fit in top of pepper.
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 6-8 fresh sprigs rosemary (to place on top of potato and pepper when baking)
- 4 large hot or mild Italian sausages, out of casings
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef (or pork)
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs OR 1/2 cup cooked Arborio rice (I have made it both ways either one is a great choice)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan, Romano or Asiago cheese
- Season with salt and pepper
Mix all above ingredients together well. (Works best using your hands) Set aside.
Simple Sauce Ingredients:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a small baking pan, drizzle with oil.
- Bake until just beginning to turn soft when tested with a fork.
- Remove from oven, set aside.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Optional: 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Saute onions, garlic in oil.
- Stir in tomato paste, fry a bit.
- Add 2 tomato paste cans water.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add canned tomatoes, oregano and rosemary.
- Simmer until ready for use.
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER!
- Prepare peppers by washing, gently slice the tops off and scoop the seeds out.
- Place them side by side in glass baking dish.
- Stuff each pepper almost to the top with meat mixture.
- Place a potato in the top of each pepper.
- Wrap a rosemary sprig around the outside of each potato on top of each pepper.
- Pour prepared tomato sauce over each pepper making sure there is at least 2 inches’ sauce in bottom of baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are golden on top.
Prep time: 40 min.
Cook time: 42 min.
Live Long and Mangia!
Health Benefits: Italian Parsley is loaded with nutrition. Parsley is a good source of vitamin K, A, folic acid, vitamin C, potassium, as well as fiber. It also contains flavonoids which makes it a strong antioxidant, thus helping reduce free radicals and inflammation. Parsley has iron in it and is a natural breath freshener as well.
For nutritional facts on the amazing Bell Pepper click the link.
Return from Stuffed Pepper Recipes to Top Secret Recipes