Aunt Isabel's Sausage Roll Recipe
No other sausage roll recipe compares to this gem when it comes to a scrumptious and easy to make Italian appetizer recipes. What excites me most about this sausage roll recipe is it's versatile in. Four different fillings to choose from provides plenty of inspiration and intrigue. Plus these tempting nuggets can be made spicy or non spicy, take your pick. Mix and match your flavor of cream cheese!
Next you can choose from one my many homemade dips and/or dipping sauces to baptize your delightful little rolls in. Spicy curry dip, heavenly honey mustard dip and many more homemade dips and or sauces can be discovered here on my website and also in my upcoming cook book "Heavenly Scent Recipes".
Sausage Roll Recipe
Fillings: Choose one of fillings below.
(My favorite combination is half ground beef and half Italian sausage, Italian white bread with herb and garlic cream cheese.)
- 1-lb of ground beef or
- 1-1b ground pork or
- 1-lb ground chicken or
- 1-lb hot or mild Italian sausage (bulk or casings removed)
- *If desired, you can mix half ground beef with half Italian sausage.
- Add to meat of choice:
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili's (optional)
- 2 dashes Worchestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 1 - loaf of either Sourdough, Italian white bread or 60% whole wheat bread.
- 250 gram tub Philadelphia herb and garlic cream cheese.
- Alternative flavors of cream cheese that are also very tasty include; chive and onion, roasted red pepper or sun dried tomato and basil. And of course, plain cream cheese.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add egg, milk, spices, Worchestershire and parsley to meat of your choice.
- Mix meat mixture thoroughly, using your hands.
- Cut the crusts off bread (You can dry crust and use in other recipes)
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each slice of bread a couple of times (until it turns to almost like dough)
- Spread cream cheese on piece of bread.
- Roll up 1-1/2 to 2 tbsp of meat filling in each piece of bread. (amount may differ according to size of pieces of bread).
- Squeeze together edge to seal.
- Brush each sausage roll with melted butter.
- For finger food cut rolls in half before baking.
- Bake on baking sheet for approx 20 minutes.
- Turn sausage rolls over and bake for 15 more minutes or until golden brown and meat is cooked through. (Keep close eye not to overcook)
This recipe makes approx. 2 dozen sausage rolls.
Note: Parchment paper works very well for browning and cleaning up afterwards.
Return from Sausage Roll Recipe to Italian Appetizer Recipes