Ricotta Pancakes Recipe with Fresh Berries
Michele Romano's Italian Ricotta pancakes recipe. Fresh, quick, healthy and oooh sooo good! They have a fine, tender texture and make a high protein breakfast or brunch for a lucky hungry bunch.
Creamy ricotta cheese is a delightful addition to many Italian breakfasts and desserts as well as several pasta dishes. Breakfast as we know is the most important meal of the day, yet the one we spend the least amount of time on. That is why is so important to find nutritious, yet not time consuming ideas to feed ourselves and our families at the break of day.
Patience and Pancakes go together, patience and Michele do not! Let me reassure you, if I can make these delicious pancakes so can you! They are by far the easiest pancakes I have ever made
Ricotta pancakes can be made ahead of time
and reheated the next morning which is helpful to save time. Served with fresh strawberry or raspberry coulis
, topped off with pure maple syrup, this breakfast will deliver the necessary energy needed for the busy day ahead
Michele Romano Recipes
Ricotta Pancakes Recipe
- 1 cup Italian ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsps of light olive oil, grapeseed oil, or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup unbleached organic flour (or gluten free flour)
- 2 tsp organic sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Approx. 2 tbsp of oil for frying (I used coconut oil)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, oil, flour sugar and salt.
- Beat until smooth texture.
- Pour batter, in about 3 inch rounds on a lightly greased griddle or wide frying pan over medium heat.
- Flip cakes with a spatula when bubbles form on the surface.
- When pancakes are lightly browned on both sides, keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup or Dorothy Romano's homemade syrup. Top with fresh berry coulis. See both recipes below.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Place berries in bowl
- Mix well with sugar and lemon juice.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve on top of pancakes.
Dorothy's Homemade Pancake Syrup
- 1 cup brown or coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp water
- Whisk ingredients together in heavy pot.
- Boil until desired thickness, keep warm until ready to serve.
Prep time: 15 min.
Cook time: 15 min.
Live Long and Mangia!
For more on eating healthy, I find The Health Benefits Times very informative.