Cheesy Italian Pasta Shuta Recipe
Geeg and Ange Toscano's Top Secret Pasta Shuta Recipe (Pasta Ascuitta) finally revealed! Bursting with flavor, this authentic cheesy Italian pasta recipe is a classic. It's one of many Secret Italian Family Recipes revealed and soon to be revealed in my upcoming cookbook "Romano/Toscano Top Secret Recipes "
The correct name for this old fashioned Italian dish is Pasta Asciutta. Many people do not know the correct spelling or pronunciation of this classic Italian cheese, pasta and tomato sauce recipe. I had to do some research to find correct spelling myself. Lol. This explains why I am calling it Pasta Shuta, so people can find it a little easier.
Feel free to choose from the list of pastas below when you make this yummy comfort food. Serve with a crispy Italian Salad mixed with a simple virgin olive oil, oregano and lemon dressing.
Children, and (the children at heart) of all ages will love to eat this fabulous Chessy Italian Pasta Shuta Recipe!!
Note: Any other type of sauce can be used with this recipe. Example- basic tomato sauce, meat sauce. Making pasta Shuta is a great way to use up left over sauce.
Michele Romano Recipes
Pasta Shuta Recipe
Simple Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 chicken legs with back attached
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp oregano (I used 1/3 cup of fresh, if available it so flavorful)
- 1 - 6 oz can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chili peppers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 - 28 0z can (3 cups) Italian tomatoes (blended or chopped)
- 2-1/2 cups small shells pasta (substitute fusilli or tubetinni.) Yields 4 cups when cooked.
- 2 cups of four cheese Italian blend. (I used pre-grated four cheese blend found in most large grocery stores) If you do not have this, then use 1-1/2 cups mozzarella and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Optional: 2 tbsp fresh chopped Italian parsley to garnish
- First, fry chicken legs/backs separately in coconut or extra virgin olive oil turning until golden brown. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Heat extra virgin oil in a large enamel pot or sauce pan.
- Add in diced onion and garlic, saute these two together.
- Add 2 tbsp. water and salt, let onion and garlic cook down about 10 minutes.
- Stir in oregano.
- Stir in 3 cups of water.
- Add in black pepper, chilies, bay leaf and sugar.
- Last, add tomatoes and bring sauce to slow simmer.
- Drop chicken legs/backs into sauce, add the oil into sauce from fry pan.
- Bring to a slow simmer for a least one hour.
- Boil pasta until al dente. (Chewy not mushy, unless of course you like mushy pasta!)
- Using tongs remove chicken and bay leaf from sauce and set chicken aside to serve with pasta shuta.
- Sir in 2-1/2 cups of sauce (more if you like lots of sauce)
- Blend in cheese blend or cheeses.
- Garnish with fresh chopped Italian parsley.
- Cover and let sit for 5 minutes while cheese melts, then serve immediately.
Prep time: 30 min.
Cook time: 20 min.
Serves: 4 to 6
Live Long and Mangia!
Health Benefits of this Pasta Shuta Recipe: Garlic lowers cholesterol levels and blood sugar which helps prevent heart attack and stroke. When crushed, raw cloves releases allicin, which has been shown to be a more potent antibiotic than penicillin and tetracycline.
Tomatoes: Studies have found that eating tomatoes regularly can cut down the risk of prostate cancer in men. Tomatoes are packed full of vitamins including A,C, and E. They also contain flavonoids (natural anti-inflammatories), mineral salts and potassium. Much of the attention focused on tomatoes has been due to the antioxidant lycopene, which helps to mop up damaging free radicals in the body that can harm our cells.
Return from Pasta Shuta Recipe to Italian Pasta Recipes