Italian Wedding Soup Recipe / Michele Romano Recipes
Weddings do not seem to be as popular these days, but my recipe for Italian wedding soup will have those proposals coming in bunches!
Minestra mariata! (Meat and vegetables go together like wine and cheese) Well, wine goes together well with just about anything if your Italian.
I have to say my wedding soup recipe is well worth the effort that it takes to roll up all those tiny little balls! It may seem a little tedious at the time, but wait until you taste your first spoonful of this extremely flavorful and very popular soup. This is one wedding that your family will love attending!
It is always a bonus if you can make your own chicken stock, especially with grain fed, healthy chicken! However for time and convenience sake, I will use a store bought organic chicken broth as well. (You will need 2 - 900ml cartons of broth)
P.S. My Italian Bread Sticks are marvelous with this soup!
Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup orzo pasta
- 1-1/2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 1-1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups fresh organic baby spinach, chopped
- 1/3 cup Pecorino Romano cheese or Parmesan
- Combine the ground meat, breadcrumbs, egg, milk, and spices in a bowl. Hand mix well and form into tiny meatballs.
- Bake on a cookie sheet in oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- In a large soup pot, saute onions, celery and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add in chicken broth, water, bring to a boil.
- Add orzo and meatballs to simmering broth.
- Cover and add spinach and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in cheese and serve immediately.
Prep time: 1 hr
Return From Italian Wedding Soup Recipe to Italian Soup Recipes