Italian Chicken Stew with Prawns (Pollo Gambero Stufato)
If Southern soul food can have jambalaya, then why can't Italians have Italian Chicken stew with prawns? Good News! We can!
I had picked up some beautiful prawns from the Canada's West Coast, so I was compelled to make something spectacular with them! This aromatic chicken and prawn stew could also be labelled as a very hearty Italian soup. It may not look like it, but it was easy to make. It is the kind of meal that if you are having company that evening just start with a small chicken and large pot in the afternoon. Add the rest of the ingredients at the end of the day for freshness! Serves 8.
Recipe for Italian Chicken Stew with Prawns
- 1 3-4 lb chicken
- 1 lb prawns, peeled and deveined (Add in later)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups of water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp red chili peppers
- 1 cup leeks or onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 small zucchini, sliced in rounds
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped or 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 pinch rosemary
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 28 oz can Italian plumb tomatoes, chopped up
- 6 0z jar, marinated artichoke hearts, chopped (plus juice)
- 1 1/2 cups Italian Arborio rice
- Romano or Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
- Roast chicken in olive oil in large covered pot or roaster at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Add water, chicken broth and salt. Continue to cook in oven until chicken is cooked.
- Take chicken out of broth and remove chicken from bones, set chicken aside. (Except legs and wings, I added to soup on bone.)
- Add all vegetables, herbs, spices, tomatoes and chopped artichokes with juice
- Bake in oven again at 350 degrees until vegetables begin to be tender, about 30 minutes.
- Lightly saute prawns in butter with garlic cloves. Add prawns and chicken into stew.
- Simmer in oven for approx. 30 more minutes
- Meanwhile in a separate pot, cook arborio rice.
- Serve in large bowls while hot. Put a scoop of rice on top in centre each bowl of soup.
- Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with Italian parsley.
- Add fresh grated pepper.
Note: I always guess at amounts of ingredients, you may need more salt depending on taste or diet.
Prep time: 30 min.
Cook time: 60 min.
Serves: 6 to 8
Live Long and Mangia!
Return from Italian Chicken Stew with Prawns to Italian Chicken Recipes