Italian Fergosa Bread Recipe
You must try this Italian fergosa bread recipe ! You will find it hard to believe how quick and easy this bread is to make once you have tasted it! I know you will want to employ this cheesy decadent Italian bread recipe over and over again.
Fergosa is the type of bread that will pair up beautifully with any pasta, soup or even a pot of chili that you might have on the go. I always make fergosa bread recipe with my Italian hamburger soup recipe (or I hear about it from everyone.) Leftover fergosa bread is always welcomed the next day toasted or warmed up for breakfast with bacon and eggs or with one of my other scrumptious breakfast ideas.
Michele Romano Recipes
Fergosa Bread Recipe
Note: This recipe will make 1 large 9" glass pie plate or square 8x8" square dish. Double this recipe to make one 9"x13" dish or two 9" pie plates if you have a large crowd.
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup medium to strong grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (Some hotter ovens 400 degrees is good).
- Mix all dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients.
- Add egg, milk and cheese, blend and knead together well.
- Butter bottom of baking dish.
- Spread dough mixture on bottom of dish.
- 1 cup grated medium or strong cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- Combine egg and cheese.
- Spread evenly over dough mixture.
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2-3 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 tsp. oregano
Other healthy Options:
- Saute butter, onion and oregano until onion is transparent.
- Spread evenly on top of bread and cheese mixture.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Cut in wedges, serve hot.
- Use 1 cup white unbleached flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.
- Add 1or 2 tbsp. ground flax, or oat bran to flour.
- Use organic cane sugar or honey.
- Use organic farm eggs.
- Use milk mixed half and half with organic soy milk or coconut milk.
- Sprinkle lightly with poppy seeds or fresh chopped Italian parsley.
Return From Fergosa Bread Recipe to Italian Bread Recipes