Italian Cod Soup Recipe
If you are looking for a simple and very tasty cod soup recipe, well Cod Almighty, you have come to the right place!
Cod is such a versatile type of fish, blending well in so many Italian Seafood recipes. That is why I really enjoy using cod in various types of dishes. Another nice thing about cod is that when you buy it fresh or even frozen, it never seems to have a strong fish smell or taste to it. This cod soup recipe has a warm, inviting and delicious ambience which makes it a winner in the winter (and the spring for that matter!) Like a mentioned above it is a very simple dinner recipe and takes no time to make at all. Lots of veggies and spices make this cod soup a healthy choice as well.
I used vermicelli noodles broken into pieces in this particular soup. If you wanted though, you could substitute brown and wild rice or Italian Arborio rice instead of noodles. I have even been adding iron packed quinoa into soups and it works beautifully!
Italian Cod Soup Recipe
- 2 large pieces of cod fish
- 2 tbsp. olive or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes - optional
- 2 shallots, or 1 small onion chopped fine
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes or 6 fresh Roma tomatoes, diced.
- 2 cups water
- 1 - 900ml carton or 4 cups organic vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vermicelli noodles, broken in pieces (very small handful, do not want to overdo it, too many noodles soak up broth.)
- Or - 1/3 cup brown rice, quinoa or Italian Arborio rice.
- First:Cover and bake fish in small amount of oil in 350 degree oven until just cooked through then remove from oven, set aside.
- Place oil and butter into large saucepan.
- Add garlic, chilies shallots, celery, carrots, peppers and mushrooms.
- Saute on medium heat for about 8 minutes, add tomatoes and simmer for 6-8 more minutes.
- Add water, vegetable or chicken broth, lemon juice and spices.
- Bring to a low boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add vermicelli noodles, rice or quinoa. Note - brown rice or quinoa will take longer to cook.
- Break up baked cod in pieces, add to soup and heat until fish is hot and serve.
Prep time: 20
Cook time: 30
Live Long and Mangia!
Return From Italian Cod Soup Recipe to Italian Seafood Recipes