Chicken Cacciatore Recipe / Pollo Cacciatora
The best Chicken Cacciatore Recipe ever! One of my husband Dan's all time favorite Italian chicken recipes. An adventure for your taste buds, chicken cacciatore will immediately be a family favorite and a must addition to your recipe repertoire.
This savory Italian chicken stew recipe is served best with creamy polenta (see recipe below), linguine, egg noodles or buttery mashed potatoes. I love to use fresh oregano and rosemary in this dish, but if unavailable, dried spices work as well. I use home made chicken broth when possible or store bought organic chicken broth.
Why not try a Roasted Garlic Caesar Salad on the side of this chicken cacciatore recipe using Michele's very own Ceaser Salad Dressing recipe ?
Michele Romano Recipes
Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 12-15 chicken thighs
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup of dry white or dry red wine (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 2-28 oz cans of plumb tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsp of fresh chopped oregano (or 2 tsp dried oregano)
- 1-1/2 tbsp of fresh chopped rosemary (or 1-1/2 tsp of dried rosemary)
- Add salt and pepper to flour
- Coat your chicken thighs evenly
- In a large pot, heat your olive oil and butter on medium to medium high
- Cook half the chicken thighs, turning them occasionally until they are well browned on all sides. Then cook other half. (note: The secret to browning chicken is not to over crowd the pot)
- Set chicken aside on a platter
- Add onions, mushrooms and garlic to your pot and cook until tender about 5 minutes.
- Add your wine and simmer on medium high for 5 minutes
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, oregano and rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using tongs, return chicken to pot
- Cover and gently simmer for about 60 minutes until the chicken is cooked and tender
Boil your pasta until firm (as always).
Spoon sauce and chicken on pasta, serve immediately.
Top off with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
Creamy Polenta Recipe
Note: This recipe serves 6 to 8, cut in half to serve 4 to 6.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups of instant polenta (cornmeal)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil
- Whisk the Polenta in until the mixture begins to thicken
- Stir in butter, salt and pepper
- Continue to cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with chicken and sauce.
You can also substitute coarse ground cornmeal in place of instant polenta to make it more traditional, but it takes at least 30 minutes longer to prepare. Follow package directions.
Prep time: 45 min.
Cook time: 60 min.
Live Long and Mangia!
Oregano is loaded with health benefits. It is known to be an effective anti-bacterial. It also has potent anti-oxidant activity.
Rosemary is a key herb in European herbal medicine. It's known for strengthening the memory, aiding in fat digestion and relieving aching joints.
For more on eating healthy, I find Health Benefits Times very informative.