Deluxe Baked Zucchini Recipe | Italian Zucchini Eggbake
Deluxe Zucchini Egg Bake , the melt in your mouth baked zucchini recipe everyone is looking for, not just Italians! When you consider the outstanding health benefits of zucchini as well, you have a definite winner. see health benefits below) Even more exciting is the fact that this Italian side dish is completely fat free. You can enjoy this zucchini recipe even if you are trying to lose weight! It is so delectable, one could think that they are eating lasagna only without the carbs!
Zucchini is so amazingly versatile . You can pretty much add it to any recipe. I can't even name them all. The list includes from pastas and casseroles to loaves and muffins. Serve this winning recipe for breakfast and/or brunch with sausages and hot biscuits.
Thinking about zucchini and Italian's brought my uncle Bob to mind. He is such a character. He always used to say "There are only two types of people in this world, Italians and those that want to be". Of course that was when he was razzing my husband or someone else about not being Italian. lol. Another thing my proud uncle Bob used to say was "I have no pride and I'm damn proud of it"! What a guy... I love him.
Michele Romano Recipes
Baked Zucchini Recipe
- 2 small green zucchini, sliced 1/4 thick
- 1 small yellow zucchini, sliced 1/4 thick
- 2-3 slices thick bacon, cubed
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano (ground is nice if you have it)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp unbleached organic flour (for keto recipe use 1 tbsp coconut flour plus 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 1/2 cups old cheddar or mozzarella
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Layer zucchini rounds in bottom 9 x 13 baking dish adding 2 tbsp water
- Place zucchini in oven 10 min. and remove.
- Meanwhile, saute bacon, red pepper, garlic, green onion and oregano in a fry pan.
- Spread mixture evenly across zucchini.
- In a bowl mix together ricotta cheese, eggs, salt and pepper, flour and baking powder.
- Next, spread ricotta mixture on casserole.
- Top with grated cheese and place sliced cherry tomatoes on top.
- Garnish with Italian parsley.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 30 min. or until golden on top.
- Let sit for 5 min before cutting into squares and serving.
Prep time: 20 min.
Cook time: 45 min.
Live Long and Mangia!
Health Benefits: Zucchini It would take pages and pages to discuss all the health benefits of incorperating zucchini into your everyday diet. Here is the short list.
- Lower Cholesterol
- Cancer Prevention
- Prostate Health
- Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention
- Lower Blood Pressure
For more on eating healthy, I find The Health Benefits Times very informative.
Look for many more Zucchini Recipes on my site and in my upcoming cookbooks.